What is Blackboard Collaborate Ultra?
NUI Galway's main web conferencing service is Blackboard Collaborate Ultra. This is a real-time video conferencing tool that lets you add files, share applications, and use a virtual whiteboard to interact. It can be used for virtual office hours, remote teaching and study groups.
The Blackboard Collaborate Ultra experience opens right in your browser, so you don't have to install any software to join a session.
A Quick Orientation for Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
At NUI Galway, Blackboard Collaborate is embedded into the Blackboard Learn platform. This means that a Blackboard Collaborate meeting room is automatically created and ready for instructors and student to use at the start of the academic year in all Blackboard modules.
This is located on the main course menu, under the name "Virtual Classroom".
You can use Blackboard Collaborate Ultra for:
- An unlimited number of virtual/live online sessions for use in remote teaching, office hours and study groups
- Each session supports up to 250 students
- Each session includes collaboration feature such as whiteboard, chat, breakout groups and polls, sharing PowerPoint.
- It operates within your browser – no plug-ins or downloads required.
- In addition to supporting live real-time teaching and learning, live sessions can be recorded and archived for review.
Support resources for presenters
- A video tutorial by Fearghal Morgan for NUI Galway staff https://youtu.be/Jhs75pw94ew
- Get started: https://help.blackboard.com/Collaborate/Ultra/Moderator/Get_Started/Basics
- There are also some ‘Cheat Sheets’ for Instructors (Moderators) and for Students (Participants).
Want to share help with your participants?
- Participants' Portal: help for participants on getting started, joining a session, viewing recordings, etc