Kaltura Capture - Recording your screen or webcam
You can use Kaltura to present rich media content in your courses. Kaltura helps you to create, or host and share videos, images, and audio files. This document describes how to use Kaltura Capture for desktop and webcam recording.
1. Media Upload or Express Capture
If you wish to create a simple webcam recording or upload already created media, you can go into
https://nuigalway.blackboard.com/ and locate My Media and select either:
- Media Upload - allows you to upload any recording made in another application, or on your phone or by any other means
- Express Capture - allows you to use your webcam or microphone to record video and audio entries directly from your browser without needing any additional software.
Recordings will necessitate the use of a webcam and microphone. However, these are now often part of computer hardware or are easily accessible.
2. "Create Recording" with Kaltura Capture
If you haven't already downloaded Kaltura Capture please refer to Kaltura Capture - Installation
With the Kaltura Capture applicaiton you can record and upload your videos which will be posted to My Media. These will be private and accessible to you only by default. You can then choose to publish them to your chosen Blackboard course, MediaSpace channel or other online destination.
These are some possible uses of this tool:
- Screen recording can follow the format of a lecture with a presentation or a demonstration of a practical nature with and audio voiceover.
- Screen and webcam recording is most useful for creating screencasts and lectures for flipped or blended learning. You can record your screen while a small window featuring yourself on webcam will be visible and audible to students. This can facilitate a more engaging recording.
- Keep your recordings reasonably short (5-10 minutes):
- Shorter recordings reduce the cognitive load on the viewer;
- Lapses in the viewer's attention become more frequent with longer videos;
- Updating material is much easier if it is more modular - updating a 5 minute video is a lot easier than a 50 minute video;
- The editing tools in Kaltura don't allow fine-grained edits especially on longer videos;
- Longer recordings tend to encounter more frequent technical issues. It's less painful if you do happen to encounter an issue on a 5 minute video to redo it than if you do on a 50 minute video. Kaltura Capture is also brand new and in development.
- If you need to make longer, more elaborate recordings and do more involved editing we recommend you consider purchasing a more powerful screen capture tool like Camtasia.
Click Add New - >Create Recording
As long as you have previously installed Kaltura Capture (see Kaltura Capture - Installation if you have not installed it) the browser screen will refresh with a message that says "The Kaltura Capture Desktop Recorder:
Your browser may display a notification asking you if you want to open Kaltura Capture:
Check "Always open these types of links in the associated app" if you don't want to receive this notification every time you use Kaltura Capture. Click the Open Kaltura Capture button.
The Kaltura Capture control panel will open:
The Kaltura Capture Recording Tool includes the following:
- Recording Button – Press to record.
- Screen Setting
- Camera Setting
- Audio Setting
- Management Settings
That’s it. You can start recording.
- You will see a 5 second count down and then your recording will start.
- If you decide to cancel your recording during the 5 second countdown, click Cancel.
- When the recording begins, the duration of your recording is displayed in the Recording Menu.
Please note that the system requirements for this software: https://knowledge.kaltura.com/kaltura-personal-capture-prerequisites-and-system-requirements
When you are finished with your recording, you will click the grey button to stop you will be brought to a window to upload and save:
See https://knowledge.kaltura.com/kaltura-personal-capture for a more detailed manual.
All the recorded videos are stored locally in your Recordings directory. Your recording is automatically uploaded to your Kaltura account (to the user specified in the User ID field in the Recording Details screen). The upload is done in the background once you select this option. After you save your recording to it's online location, you can start a new one or log off and the recording will continue to upload.