Flipgrid is a free video discussion platform from Microsoft. In Flipgrid, educators post discussion prompts and students respond with short videos.
Access an account
- To get started, visit the FlipGrid website https://info.flipgrid.com/ to sign-up for an account.
- Log in using your NUI Galway account credentials.
- Next, create your profile. Enter in your name, country, state, college, age of community, and subject then click Create Account.
Grids in FlipGrid
- You will be prompted to Start my Grid, click the red button to begin.
- You will start by giving the Grid a name, like a course name/course code - if there will be multiple assignments/topics within this Grid.
- Next you can select how students access the Grid.
- If you select School Email you can add the domain nuigalway.ie for students to access.
- Next, delete populated code in Create a Flip Code section and leave blank for computer generated code.
- When you are done, click the Next button in red to create your Grid.
- You will see the My Grids screen where there is a Flip Code for students to access all the topics or you can share topic Flip Codes weekly.
- You can now perform other actions with your Grid by clicking the Actions dropdown feature to edit notifications or you can edit the Grid by selecting Edit Grid for example change captions language to Spanish.
- Once your grid is created you will want to create a topic for each assignment by clicking the Add Topic button.
- You will then add a topic title, recording time allowed, and the prompt/instructions.
- There are optional features shown at the bottom of the screen and you can click the More Options to customize the topic even more.
- Once done click the Create Topic button to add your topic to the Grid.
- You can now share the FlipGrid code by copying the link and posting it in your announcements.
Embedding your FlipGrid in your Blackboard course:
- From your FlipGrid, select the SHARE button.
- Next, select the Copy Embed Code button.
- From your Blackboard Learn Course, select the Build Content> Add Item from the dropdown.
- Select the HTML button and paste (ctrl V) the code into the HTML code view window.
- Click the Update button and then the Submit button and your FlipGrid will be posted in your banner as shown below:
Watch a video
See more on https://blog.flipgrid.com/gettingstarted